Welcome Guest, please login to post to forums

Walk in employment/support centre

Home The Just Act Forum Ask a question… Walk in employment/support centre

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Elizabeth Elizabeth 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Sophie
    Sophie
    Participant

Hello,
    Has anyone come across an area which has developed the above (highly responsive and visible shop front) in a highly deprived, ideally multi cultural inner city area?
    Potentially in partnership with a University and attracted funding to keep it going?
    I know it’s specific, but it’s worth asking…
    Many thanks,
    Sophie

Profile photo of Tracey
    Tracey
    Participant

Hi Sophie
    I have supported the development of a job club, and now run it twice a week. Unfortunately I can not help you in your information quest for people who have set up job clubs in city areas as we are a very rural community, and our Job Club is funded by the local Parish Council.

I am aware however that the profile of job clubs is rising and DWP can see the need and benefit of investing in them, it may be worth you approaching your local DWP office for start up funding. (They will not fund ongoing work, but will look at start up cost)

In the past 2 years we have supported over 160 people into work, and many more onto training or into volunteer opportunities. We have had success because of our approach. Everyone who comes into the job club is treated as an individual and everyone has an individual action plan for job seeking. We only suggest courses where these are beneficial to a job seeker (we are lucky and do not rely on course numbers for our funding)

Our job club is run a little like an employment agency – Job seeker comes in, skills assessed, life skills assessed, local companies approached. We do not always wait for a job vacancy to be advertised or phoned in, we go out and find it.

Martock Job Club is very lucky to have 10 volunteers from many different backgrounds, some have been unemployed and understand the struggle, some employed, managers, HR people and self employed business people, therefore there is always someone who can support an individuals wants and needs.

Your job club needs to be a safe environment, where people are happy to come and chat through their job seeking, you will often pick up other issues along the way that need to be addressed first before job seeking can begin – We have emergency food parcels, interview clothes and can support with housing ensuring that persons life is secure, meaning they have the capacity to find work.

We assist with CV writing, interview skills, applications and raise self esteem and confidence along the way. We have even been known to show people how to do specific things, like cleaning for example so they can apply for jobs.

I am not sure if that is helpful, but I wish you every success, anything you can do to support people is amazing as the support is best coming from the community within who understand their local areas, rather than the statutory bases that really don’t understand the struggles and are constraint by rules and targets.
    Good Luck

Profile photo of Effiom
    Effiom
    Participant

Hi Sophie, I’ve tried to model this after the last thread:

TSCG will hold employability advice and guidance sessions at Brunswick Court from February 2015. Currently, we are a community group funded by donations from the public and/or from the proprietors’ pockets.
    In the past year we have primarily supported many ethnic minority people into work, training and volunteer opportunities through our job clubs that were held at Barton Hill and St Paul’s.

We offer advice and guidance, work placement opportunities, job clubs, paid work (occasionally) and in-work support, where these are beneficial to a job seeker or the employed.

TSCG is an employment agency, that has charitable objectives. We work with local companies and we match employees with employers.

We are run by volunteers from the local areas, and from different backgrounds, who understand the local needs, and who can support individuals wants and needs.

TSCG also provides a workers action where workers are happy to come and chat through about their work, and receive support including workshops, to fight for better pay and better working conditions.

Finally, we offer financial assistance to help those getting back into work.

See more @ http://www.the-society.org.uk

Email – thesociety@the-society.org.uk

Profile photo of Elizabeth
    Elizabeth

Hi everyone,

It’s great to see the range of projects you guys are running – especially how you can share advice despite being in different areas of the country, with slightly different aims.

Sophie, was this helpful? Have you got any questions for Tracey, Effiom or anybody else?

Lizzy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.