Welcome Guest, please login to post to forums

Thursday 21 August 12-1pm – Live Discussion

Home The Just Act Forum Ask a question… Thursday 21 August 12-1pm – Live Discussion

This topic contains 59 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Duncan Duncan 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Elizabeth
    Elizabeth

Hi everyone,
    Here is the place to come for August's live discussion. It will take place on Thursday 21 August, 12-1pm.
    This month's topic will be "How to get funding for your community project".
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and questions!
    Drop us an email at Communications@cdf.org.uk if you've got any questions in the meantime.
    Lizzy

Elizabeth

Hi everyone,
    Just a quick note to say how much I’m looking forward to the discussion. Will be great to hear your insights – from grant application ‘dos’ and ‘don’ts’ to your wacky fundraising stories.
    I also thought I’d let you know ahead of the discussion that to take part, you’ll need to create an account on the site. This is a 2 minute form – head to this page: http://www.justact.org.uk/register/ – and then you’ll get an email so that you can activate your account.
    As always, if you’ve got any questions drop the team an email on Communications@cdf.org.uk
    See you soon!

Elizabeth

Hi everyone!
    Welcome to this month’s live discussion!
    Who is here and is brave enough to say hello first?
    Lizzy

Profile photo of James
    James
    Participant

Hi,

I’m James and I work in the Communities team at the Centre for Sustainable Energy (www.cse.org.uk). We’re regularly asked for advice on funding for a range of energy based improvements, or renewable projects by a range of community organisation.

We do occasionally run funds ourselves so we’ve got experience from both marking funding applications and advising on how to fill them out.

Elizabeth

[b]Quote from jameswattcse on August 21, 2014, 12:05[/b]
    Hi,

I’m James and I work in the Communities team at the Centre for Sustainable Energy (www.cse.org.uk). We’re regularly asked for advice on funding for a range of energy based improvements, or renewable projects by a range of community organisation.

We do occasionally run funds ourselves so we’ve got experience from both marking funding applications and advising on how to fill them out.

Hi James!
    Welcome to the discussion, it’s great to have you here. Interesting to get a funder’s perspective – what’s your best piece of advice that you give to groups that come to you?
    Lizzy

Profile photo of Rebekah
    Rebekah
    Participant

Hi Lizzy

I’m here! Rebekah from CDF’s Research Team. We’ve been looking at crowdfunding recently and thought it might be useful to share some of what we’ve learnt with people who have considered using it as a fundraising tool.

Profile photo of James
    James
    Participant

It sounds obvious, but make sure that you read the eligibility criteria properly! But really It’s about making sure that you’ve answered the question that the funder is asking (which is often different to what you want to say). If they’re asking for a budget, try and be clear as possible even if it’s just a basic bullet point list of what you think you’ll be spending the money on.

Most funders will be marking your application against set criteria, such as value for money, but also what they see to be the social/community impact of the project.

Elizabeth

[b]Quote from rebekahryder on August 21, 2014, 12:08[/b]
    Hi Lizzy

I’m here! Rebekah from CDF’s Research Team. We’ve been looking at crowdfunding recently and thought it might be useful to share some of what we’ve learnt with people who have considered using it as a fundraising tool.

Hi Rebekah!
    Great to have you here too – would you like to share a good bit of advice from your research?
    Has anyone around thought about trying Crowdfunding for their project?
    Lizzy

Profile photo of James
    James
    Participant

We’ve also collated a range of useful resources to advise organisations on financing their projects:

http://www.cse.org.uk/thesource/browse/managing-projects-finances-and-legal-issues-7/financing-your-project-9

Elizabeth

[b]Quote from jameswattcse on August 21, 2014, 12:10[/b]
    It sounds obvious, but make sure that you read the eligibility criteria properly! But really It’s about making sure that you’ve answered the question that the funder is asking (which is often different to what you want to say). If they’re asking for a budget, try and be clear as possible even if it’s just a basic bullet point list of what you think you’ll be spending the money on.

Most funders will be marking your application against set criteria, such as value for money, but also what they see to be the social/community impact of the project.

Brilliant advice, James. Thank you. When do you think groups are ready to apply for their first bit of funding?

Anyone here want to introduce themselves and their project?

Profile photo of Rich
    Rich
    Participant

Hello! Sorry I’m late. How’s everyone doing?

Elizabeth

[b]Quote from richsutherland on August 21, 2014, 12:17[/b]
    Hello! Sorry I’m late. How’s everyone doing?

Hi Rich- welcome to the chat!
    D’you want to briefly introduce your project and tell us a little bit about how you funded it?

Profile photo of Rich
    Rich
    Participant

Hi Rich- welcome to the chat!
    D’you want to briefly introduce your project and tell us a little bit about how you funded it?[/quote]

Hallo! We created Assemble Fest, a theatre festival down a busy avenue in Hull, last year. The first festival was on 3rd May this year and it’s set to be an annual event each May, but perhaps with a Christmas project and the odd masterclass in-between. All of this is funded by Arts Council England, Hull City Council, Community Development Foundation, and 2-3 local businesses.

Profile photo of Rebekah
    Rebekah
    Participant

Hi Rebekah!
    Great to have you here too – would you like to share a good bit of advice from your research?
    Has anyone around thought about trying Crowdfunding for their project?
    Lizzy

I suppose the best bit of advice is that crowdfunding can work for community groups but you need to be very clear on what your project is, what message you are getting across to supporters and be prepared to spend time and energy continuously promoting it.

Elizabeth

[b]Quote from richsutherland on August 21, 2014, 12:20[/b]
    All of this is funded by Arts Council England, Hull City Council, Community Development Foundation, and 2-3 local businesses.

That’s great! Thanks for sharing. Do you have any top tips for writing funding applications?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.