Welcome Guest, please login to post to forums

Parks and Recreation Grounds + listed building – move to community ownership

Home The Just Act Forum Ask a question… Parks and Recreation Grounds + listed building – move to community ownership

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stephen Stephen 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Christina
    Christina
    Participant

Hello

I am a consultant new to the area of community ownership projects.

I am looking for good examples of parks and recreation grounds that have successfully moved from local authority to community ownership – any regional location is fine.

In our scenario we have a Grade 1 listed building within the park, so examples of a park, with building (s) being transferred would be fantastic.

Any leads you could offer would be great

With many thanks,

Christina

Profile photo of Chrisie
    Chrisie
    Participant

Hi Christina

We are the friends of Walton hall park, the park is 130 acres in Liverpool and is under threat of mass development. In the plans Liverpool city council is planning on building on the whole park even though it dates back to 1149, before Liverpool began.

The council say they do not have money to run the park (one of many they are building on) but we have spoken to them about helping us to community asset the park to the community, sadly they refuse to speak to us.

We are exploring this ourselves now as feelings are very strong within the community to save the park. We have been running and maintaining the park for many months now. There is Land trust here in Liverpool that is doing exactly that in Liverpool but they do this by selling parts of the park to developers and with the money raised use that to maintain the park.

We have spoken to them but we feel this is not right for our park. We are in talks with other groups and organisations and we would love to also hear of anyone who has done this.

We are looking for any help or advice in community asset transfer for our park as we feel the best action is for it to be run by us for us!

Kind regards

Mrs Chrisie Byrne
    Chair friends of Walton hall park

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

**Christina / Chrisie**

Dear Both.

I read your posts with interest. I would very strongly encourage you both as appropriate to work with parish councils in your areas as they are a very powerful local voice and have council tax (precept) raising powers. Many parishes manage and run parks already. I know Liverpool does not have huge numbers of parish councils but in both cases it might be worth investigating if there is local interest in setting one up – http://www.nalc.gov.uk/our-work/create-a-council .

Hope this helps,

Chris (NALC)

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

My sympathy Christina, if the local authority won’t talk to you and you are not alone in this you need to create interest with Facebook, local press to etc, and put some pressure on. It seems that local authorities are hell bent on selling off everything. We stopped the sale of one of our building using this method and then we blocked the council chamber until they changed their minds ….. It worked

Profile photo of Christina
    Christina
    Participant

Thank you for the responses – any further links to projects successful or not are most welcome

Profile photo of Chrisie
    Chrisie
    Participant

Hi Christina

Here is our website

http://waltonhallparkcommunity.org/

You are more than welcome to contact me

Chrisie

Profile photo of Stephen
    Stephen
    Participant

In October last year a ‘Live chat’ session was hosted on this forum on green space issues and tips for engaging communities more in the management of green space. The session was led by Shared Assets – a not for profit community organisation that supports community management of woodlands, waterways, green spaces and coastal areas. The FAQs following that live chat can be accessed in the relevant on this platform or at: http://www.mycommunity.org.uk. You will find that the FAQs touch on issues relevant to this subject, such as protecting open space, where to start, insurances, etc.

Locality and Shared Assets are finalising some more detailed guidance on this topic, which will be released on the wwww.mycommunity.org.uk website very shortly. In the meantime, you might want to look at some guidance that Locality produced in 2010 on the transfer of public space to communities. Although some of the specific opportunities are out of date, the principles remain unchanged. It also includes some inspirational case studies: http://locality.org.uk/resources/community-led-spaces/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.