Welcome Guest, please login to post to forums

Weds 1 April Q&A – find out about My Community

Home The Just Act Forum Ask a question… Weds 1 April Q&A – find out about My Community

This topic contains 109 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Gemma Gemma 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 110 total)
  • Author

Hello!

You may have noticed the new-look banner on our forum page – we’re pleased to announced that Just Act is now home to the My Community Network!

What does this mean?

For anyone who has used the Just Act forum, things aren’t really going to change – but there will be a lot more regular discussions, Q&As and expert chats over the next year, which we’re very excited about.

The only small technical change is that all the threads from last year have moved into this one forum – as we’ve been listening to your feedback so this should make things easier to find!

What is the My Community Network?

The My Community Network is the place to chat to experts and connect with others who are also passionate about their community.

The My Community Network is part of the new package of support called My Community, which aims to help communities to take control over their Land & Buildings, Local Services, Neighbourhood Planning and Local Economy through the Community Rights, grants, expert advice and networking.

CDF (the organisation behind Just Act) are working with Locality to help connect people who are active in their communities through the My Community Network.

The Network officially launches next Wednesday, 1 April 2015. If you have a Just Act account or are a Just Act Community Champion, we’ll be contacting you soon to explain more about how this will work and how you can continue to be involved!

How do I find out more?
    Take a look at the My Community Network page to find out more – and we’ll be holding a live Q&A very soon to explain all of the support available and what to expect – check back for details on when this will be.

Just to update – join us on 1 April to find out more about what’s on offer from My Community and the My Community Network.

There will be opportunities to live chat to the people running this support, including representatives from Locality, CDF, the Local Government Association (LGA) and the National Association of Local Councils (NALC).

Simply reigster on Just Act to post a question! And you can leave questions on this thread now for us to answer on the day.

Look forward to chatting with you

Charlotte

Morning

We’ll start our first Q&A session very soon – the running order for today is:

• 10am – Locality will be on hand to answer questions about the My Community advice service
    • 10.30am – Locality will be sharing what’s new on the My Community website (previously My Community Rights)
    • 11.00am – CDF will be on hand to answer questions about the My Community Network
    • 11.30am – LGA will explain how local government can get involved
    • 12.00pm – Locality will answer questions about Neighbourhood Planning
    • 12.30pm – NAVCA is going to answer questions about how infrastructure organisations can use My Community
    • 1.00pm – Locality will answer questions about community buildings
    • 1.30pm – NALC will answer questions on how town and parish councils can use the support and network
    • 2pm – Co-Operatives UK will be on hand to explain the new opportunities available through the Community Economic Development programme

And then just in terms of how things work – you need to log-in to post a question, just type in the box and hit “submit” – don’t worry about formatting it. You might want to tick “Notify me of follow-up replies via email” below, so you can dip in and out today.

Lastly, to directly respond to one person, use the “quote” function – myself, Lizzy and Gemma from CDF will be on hand all day to help out!

Charlotte

Profile photo of Paul
    Paul
    Participant

Hello All Looking forward to finding out about My Community Network my name is Paul Long I am the founder of Kirkstall Community Garden & the Executive Director of Incredible Edible Kirkstall which is a not for profit community interest organisation run by volunteers http://www.facebook.com/incrediblekirkstall @IEKirkstall I am also a committee member of Feed Leeds & support the Leeds Food Aid Network & other local resident associations. I believe in Community led positive action to provide educational opportunities / facilities for all to enjoy & inspire pro social sustainable healthy living.

Learn, share & grow together to create a better sense of neighbourhood & belonging
    Opportunity through understanding & empathy

We are happy to help other communities & schools create communal growing space / educational resources & activities.

we have a variety of initiatives, events, competitions & volunteering opportunities available for more info please contact
    incrediblekirkstall@gmail.com

Happy Growing

Profile photo of Stephen
    Stephen
    Participant

Hi, I’m Stephen Rolph from Locality. I’d be pleased to hear from anyone who wants to know a little more about the My Community advice service and help centre.

Hi Stephen and Paul,

Stephen – could you briefly explain the My Community advice service and help centre is?

Charlotte

Profile photo of Stephen
    Stephen
    Participant

The My Community Help Centre is the place to come to find out more about the My Community programmes, the associated grants and other relevant topics, such as the use of the Community Rights.

The Help Centre will help communities to understand the range of options open to them; route them to the relevant support available and provide expert advice to help them achieve their objectives.

Profile photo of Flaminia
    Flaminia
    Participant

Hello. I have a question regarding the grants for buildings.
    We have a lease on a building but are struggling with the rent since one of our partners decided to leave. Are there grants to cover rent, bills and make basic renovations like paint and buy new furniture? We would need about £30k to cover until August 2016.

Great thanks Stephen, so what are the different ways that people can ask for and access advice?

(Also – if anyone else has questions, please feel free to dip in – or just say hello or you’re here)

Profile photo of Stephen
    Stephen
    Participant

The first place to start is our website – http://www.mycommunity.org.uk On the website you will find information about the various My Community programmes and how to apply for further support and the relevant grants. The website also holds lots of free resources, guides and case studies that are relevant to communities who want to take control over their land and buildings and shape local services.

From the website, enquirers can also send us a direct enquiry at any time using the simple web-form provided. It will be picked up by one of our team for a response. We’ll also be offering a live-chat service by demand very soon, also accessible via the website.

Our telephone helpline is open to callers Monday – Friday, 9.30am – 12.30pm. It’s a local call rate number – Tel. 0300 020 1864.

You can also follow us for up to date news on Twitter @MyCommunityHelp

So, we’re here to help!

Hello. I have a question regarding the grants for buildings.
    We have a lease on a building but are struggling with the rent since one of our partners decided to leave. Are there grants to cover rent, bills and make basic renovations like paint and buy new furniture? We would need about £30k to cover until August 2016.

Hi Flaminia, I’m not sure – Stephen, would there be funding like this through any of the programmes?

Profile photo of Stephen
    Stephen
    Participant

Flaminia

There are a different programmes of support under the My Community umbrella, and the grants are on offer to assist in specific ways. It sounds like what you are looking for is finance towards ‘running costs’, which is not usually an eligible item of expenditure. However, do get in touch with us as there may be other local opportunities we could signpost you towards.

Profile photo of Paul
    Paul
    Participant

“The My Community Help Centre is the place to come to find out more about the My Community programmes, the associated grants and other relevant topics, such as the use of the Community Rights.
    The Help Centre will help communities to understand the range of options open to them; route them to the relevant support available and provide expert advice to help them achieve their objectives.”

Is The Help Centre an actual building where people can visit & talk to someone regarding their ideas or problems they face or is just another online resource cos over the past few years i have helped many local organisations & they find that by meeting with someone ” A Community Champion ” it really helps them rather than just looking at online guides. Maybe local authorities can employ people to do this or offer funding to those like myself who are already supporting so many communities. All thoughts welcome

Is The Help Centre an actual building where people can visit & talk to someone regarding their ideas or problems they face or is just another online resource cos over the past few years i have helped many local organisations & they find that by meeting with someone ” A Community Champion ” it really helps them rather than just looking at online guides. Maybe local authorities can employ people to do this or offer funding to those like myself who are already supporting so many communities. All thoughts welcome

Hi Paul,

The My Community help centre is online and over the phone (and you can also log-on to Just Act to ask questions too), so not a real-building. However, the My Community Network will be a mix of online chats as well as learning hub events across the country over the next year, which is where you can come together and talk with others. There will also be My Community Champions – which might be something you’d be interested in applying for? http://mycommunity.org.uk/my-community-network/

Hi Stephen – one last question from me, what topics can the help centre advise on?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 110 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.