Welcome Guest, please login to post to forums

Live Q&A with Craig Hilton – Tuesday 12 August 2-2:30pm

Home The Just Act Forum Ask a question… Live Q&A with Craig Hilton – Tuesday 12 August 2-2:30pm

This topic contains 20 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Elizabeth Elizabeth 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Elizabeth
    Elizabeth

Tune in between 2-2:30pm today and find out about how Craig Hilton from Sunderland got involved with his community.
    You can hear his story and chip in with questions, too.
    See you then!

Elizabeth

Tune in between 2-2:30pm today and find out about how Craig Hilton from Sunderland got involved with his community.
    You can hear his story and chip in with questions, too.
    See you then!

Profile photo of Craig
    Craig
    Participant

Hi All,

Now Live and Kicking

Elizabeth

Hi Craig & hi everyone!
    I’m really excited to kick off our first live Q&A with a Just Act Community Champion!
    For those of you who don’t know – I’m Lizzy and I’m one of the Just Act team.
    We’ll be chatting with Craig Hilton for the next half hour or so. So Craig, do you want to kick things off by introducing yourself?

Profile photo of Craig
    Craig
    Participant

Hi Everyone, I’m Craig, dare I say I’m 51!! Married with two young children and i work for the Salvation Army Social services at a Hostel called Swan Lodge in Sunderland

Elizabeth

Fantastic – how did you end up in your current job?

Profile photo of Craig
    Craig
    Participant

[b]Quote from Elizabeth.Jewell on August 12, 2014, 14:02[/b]
    Fantastic – how did you end up in your current job?

Hi, sorry for the delay. I came to Swan Lodge as a resident, homeless and needing help. Well I received that help and with training and guidence worked my through, volunteering here, then part time and then full time, which I have been for the past four years

Elizabeth

[b]Quote from craighilton on August 12, 2014, 14:10[/b]
    Hi, sorry for the delay. I came to Swan Lodge as a resident, homeless and needing help. Well I received that help and with training and guidence worked my through, volunteering here, then part time and then full time, which I have been for the past four years

That’s great – could you tell us a little bit about when you started volunteering at Swan Lodge? How did you get started? And then what happened next?

Profile photo of Craig
    Craig
    Participant

When I had recovered both physically and mentally enough I started to talk to other residents that had gone through the same as me and encouraged them and suppotred them in what ever they needed. Management here noticed this and gave me more and more opportunities to help. I ran a cooking class as many homeless, especially young men can’t cook, so we did a basic course. I played sport with the residnts and got some of them helping out too.

Elizabeth

[b]Quote from craighilton on August 12, 2014, 14:15[/b]
    When I had recovered both physically and mentally enough I started to talk to other residents that had gone through the same as me and encouraged them and suppotred them in what ever they needed. Management here noticed this and gave me more and more opportunities to help. I ran a cooking class as many homeless, especially young men can’t cook, so we did a basic course. I played sport with the residnts and got some of them helping out too.

That’s brilliant. So what is your role at Swan Lodge now? And what community projects do you run or help out with?

Profile photo of Craig
    Craig
    Participant

After three years of being a Support Worker i have just changed my role to Administrator. Ths is basically looking aftre the accounts, money Yawn Yawn. But I really enjoy it. It gives me more time to Coordinate the HOPE volunteers whihc is our community Group that is run by residents to help gardening, DIY, litter picking, snow clearing, in fact anything anyone on th commnunity needs doing. No charge, but of course donations are welcome.

Elizabeth

[b]Quote from craighilton on August 12, 2014, 14:19[/b]
    After three years of being a Support Worker i have just changed my role to Administrator. Ths is basically looking aftre the accounts, money Yawn Yawn. But I really enjoy it. It gives me more time to Coordinate the HOPE volunteers whihc is our community Group that is run by residents to help gardening, DIY, litter picking, snow clearing, in fact anything anyone on th commnunity needs doing. No charge, but of course donations are welcome.

That sounds wonderful – what a success story! Who do you feel you’ve helped out with the HOPE project? Do you have any stories about people you’ve worked with in your time there?

Profile photo of Craig
    Craig
    Participant

We spent one summer working with the council in one of the parks, helping plant bulbs and clear weeds away, so I would like to think we have helped the whole city in some way. We also runa soup and sandwich project where we prepare and serve freshly made soup and sandwiches to the community for £1. This is welcomed by so many and is very popular.

Elizabeth

[b]Quote from craighilton on August 12, 2014, 14:24[/b]
    We spent one summer working with the council in one of the parks, helping plant bulbs and clear weeds away, so I would like to think we have helped the whole city in some way. We also runa soup and sandwich project where we prepare and serve freshly made soup and sandwiches to the community for £1. This is welcomed by so many and is very popular.

Sounds like it’s certainly keeping you busy! How many staff and volunteers are there working with you at Swan Lodge? Have you had the chance to link up or work with any other community projects in the area?

Profile photo of Craig
    Craig
    Participant

There is so much more we could do given the time, but we have One memeber of staff (me ) that works with the Hope Volunteers as an add on to my regular duties, two volunteer staff ( ex residents) and probably 6 regular volunteers.

We have linked up with Gentoo our local housing provider and the Councils Community guys who sometimes ask to clear a specific space. We have just started to openm our doors to other providers in the city so we hope to jon together to make HOPE bigger and better.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.