Welcome Guest, please login to post to forums

Live Q&A and catch up with the First Steps team

Home The Just Act Forum Ask a question… Live Q&A and catch up with the First Steps team

This topic contains 40 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Farooq Yunus Farooq Yunus 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author

Hi Everyone,

The First Steps team will be here for a live Q&A on Thursday 10 September at 12.30pm to chat about the programme so far and take any questions you might have.

This is a great opportunity to get some expert advice and to find out what others are up to in your First Steps area and across the country, as well as a chance to link up with others on similar projects.

So, if you’ve got any questions about the upcoming Blog, the Community Action Plan or the First Steps programme generally, then this is the place to ask. And if you’ve got any tips or advice to share with others, or you’d just like to tell everyone what you’re up to, then we’d love to hear from you too!

All you’ll need to do is log in to the forum and click on this thread between 12.30-1.30pm on September 10 2015. If you’re not available during that time, you can always add your comments or questions before or after the live chat and we’ll get back to you.

Best Wishes

The First Steps team

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

On 21st August you sent us all the attached guidance about writing our plan. This guidance is very comprehensive and informative. My concerns is that it implies a long and detailed plan whereas at our induction event on 30 June we were told the plan only needed to be three or four pages long. Can you please provide more guidance as to what you are expecting. Thanks

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Lauren
    Lauren
    Participant

Hi, my name is Lauren and I am from Community Revival, involved in the First Steps Programme. The problem we facing is that all the training courses are held either on a Monday or Tuesday which none of our members are able to attend because of work commitments etc. Are there are any presentations or notes of the training courses held that we can access to help us.

Thank you.

Profile photo of Sheila
    Sheila
    Participant

is there anyone here?

Profile photo of Sheila
    Sheila
    Participant

Hi Lauren, it looks like there is only me and you here at the moment

Profile photo of Ian
    Ian
    Participant

Good afternoon, First Steps groups! Both Tom and myself from CDF will be here to provide responses today.

Michael, thank you for the message. With the guidance we have tried to cover as many of the areas that a First Step group might want to include in a plan, but we appreciate that one group may not need or want to include everything we have suggested.

From the induction events we know that First Steps groups share a desire to consult with their communities to find out what is important to them. However they vary in what they want the plan for and who their audience is for the plan. Some groups want to use the plan as a basis for future funding applications, whilst others want to show the community what their groups is doing now or wants to do in the future, or use it to engage the community to get even more community input in the future. The content and the language will vary depending on the type of plan and the audience.

Its important to consider what information will work best for you and your plan. What they should all share is information on their community consultation, how you did it, what were the results and how you propose to take it forward. The other information will then depend on your goal for the plan.

Profile photo of Lauren
    Lauren
    Participant

Hi Sheila.

Profile photo of Ian
    Ian
    Participant

Hi Lauren

In terms of the materials we will be making them available for the training courses. They will be going up once each course has delivered all it’s sessions around the country. So the first ones to go up will be the materials for the mapping communities and community consultations, with the other materials to follow later.

With regard to training events, we haven’t specifically targeted Monday and Tuesdays, so it may have been due to availability on those particular weeks.

Profile photo of Myfanwy
    Myfanwy
    Participant

Hello CDF!

I’m part of the West Green Rd/Seven Sisters Development Trust. We’re getting up and running with First Steps ok. The one bit I am still not clear on is the extent of what we can use our Relationship Manager’s time for. Could you provide some examples to inspire us?!

Thanks, Myfanwy

Profile photo of Lauren
    Lauren
    Participant

Hello, is anyone there?

Profile photo of Alex
    Alex

Hello to all, it’s Alex here from the Newtown Residents Association in Southampton, members of the First Steps programme. I haven’t got any particular burning issues/problems, so at the moment I’m here just to observe.

Profile photo of Sheila
    Sheila
    Participant

Lauren has asked about the training events and as I have had training material from the events I attended I’m now wondering what is available for those who can’t attend because of work commitments

Profile photo of Ian
    Ian
    Participant

Hi again, Lauren

You are right that the bulk of London events are booked for Mondays or Tuesdays. There are other dates for the East and South east region that will also take place in London, so you could attend those instead if you wished.

Profile photo of Sheila
    Sheila
    Participant

Forget my last post as I see it has been answered. There seems to be a problem with refreshing the page so I did not see any posts after the initial CDF post until I made another post myself.

Hi Myfanwy,

The Rm’s time can be used for a veriety of things, for example you may want them to read over/edit/comment upon your draft plan or help you put together a consultation survey etc. We try not to put any limits on the RM, they are there to provide any and all help or advice you need specific to your group. Most RM’s at this early stage have focused on reviewing the project plan with their group and coming up with a list of actions and engagement activities for the group.

If anyone would like to share their experience with their RM so far, please do!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.