Welcome Guest, please login to post to forums

Live advice session on Community Led Housing – 12pm 25 November

Home The Just Act Forum Ask a question… Live advice session on Community Led Housing – 12pm 25 November

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of David David 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Gemma
    Gemma

Hi All,

Just a quick post to let you know that next Wednesday at midday there will be a live advice session here in this thread for community groups interested in diversifying into community led housing

We’ll have experts from the Right to Build team online to take questions on what community housing is, any issues groups are facing in their particular areas and how they can help. There will also be tips around housing projects people may want to visit and examples of good practice.

So if you’re interested in hearing more about what’s working well, how you could get involved or you’d like to ask a question then we’d love to hear from you next week!
    And, as always, if you can’t make the live chat next week then just post your questions in this thread and we’ll get back to you.

Gemma

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

**Gemma**

Hi Gemma.

Thanks for this. NALC hopes that all My Community parishes engaging in community led housing projects tap into this very helpful live advice session.

Thanks,

Chris (NALC)

Profile photo of Katrina
    Katrina
    Participant

We are a small group of residents in The Wyre Forest area of Worcestershire, we have set up at present an unicorporated business called The Balanced Oak. We are looking at setting up as a community land trust as we want to offer homes at affordable rentals.
    We wish to build Eco straw bale homes, business premises,cafe and five landscaped gardens to offer leisure, wellbeing activities, and open to tourism.
    Our local council are all in support of this venture, however we are struggling to find help to:
    A) set up as incorporated
    B) find suitable land as it is all being brought by developers

There are lots of barriers and people taking us seriously is one. Did tall developers start off with an idea?

There should be a priority made for community led groups that want to venture into community led housing to be assigned a plot of land from their local authority on a long lease with the option to buy at a later stage.

Where is the support, experts that can help have there funding stopped and we get left hanging.

Could the right to build help our cause?

The land we had in mind is the only piece of land that can be built on and because it is over150 hectares, bearing in mind the majority of this is arable, it has been understandably assigned to accommodate the housing that the council have to provide.

We only wanted a small part of it, but alas we cannot get passed the first hurdle.

Can anyone offer any advise or contacts.

Also anyone in Worcestershire area interested in joining us please get in touch

http://thebalancedoak.weebly.com/

Kind regards

Katrina Willetts

Profile photo of Lyn
    Lyn
    Participant

Hi

My name is Lyn Kesterton and I work for Locality’s Community-led Housing unit.
    First of all, I should say well done for trying to progress a Community-led housing (CLH) project – it’s true there are many barriers to face, but don’t let that stop you – there is support out there.

Availability and cost of land is a common problem faced by almost every CLH project, as is the question of being taken seriously in the early stages, so I guess my first piece of advice would be to get yourself set up as an appropriate legal entity as soon as possible. This shows you are serious and that you are prepared to take steps to prove it. I know it’s hard to find funding for this, but have you read about the support offered by the Community Land Trust Network here?
    http://www.communitylandtrusts.org.uk/funding-and-resources/funding/start-up-funding
    If you haven’t already made contact with them, I would advise you do so.

Locality is working hard to ensure that communities get a fair bite at the cherry when it comes to accessing local land and I do agree with the points you make.
    We will be able to go into more detail about all the various options and what Locality is doing to improve the situation for local housing projects at the advice session next week, but in the meantime, see this link for more info on Community Right to Build http://mycommunity.org.uk/programme/community-buildings/
    Lyn

Profile photo of Steve
    Steve
    Participant

Hi, is this live advice session a webinar? Or do I just log in and follow the conversation? Thanks
    Steve

Profile photo of Gemma
    Gemma

Hi Steve,

This will be a live web chat, so you can log in and ask questions and follow it as it goes along.

The chat will be available afterwards to look back at as well and you can always add questions to it at a later date.

Hope you can make it tomorrow!

Gemma

Profile photo of Gemma
    Gemma

Hi All,
    Just a quick reminder for anyone wanting to join in today, you’ll need to register for an account to post a question. It only takes a minute, just click register at the top of the page to sign up.

If you’re following the chat, remember to tick the box at the bottom of the thread to be notified by email of new posts, this way you won’t need to refresh the forum and you’ll keep up in real time.

Enjoy the chat! Any problems with the site, email communications@cdf.org.uk
    If you need to change your password you can do it on the log in page by clicking forgotten password.

Gemma

Profile photo of Lyn
    Lyn
    Participant

Hi
    Please let me know if you have any questions on community led housing. I am more than happy to help.
    Lyn

Profile photo of Steve
    Steve
    Participant

Hi I am a Director of a local community interest company that is considering community led housing allocation as part of a Neighbourhood Plan. What are the main issues that we will face and is there any support available to projects that are new to CLH.
    Steve?

Profile photo of Lyn
    Lyn
    Participant

I am particularly interested to hear from any existing community groups who may be considering a diversification into community led housing. Locality has many members who are currently looking at the possibilities for local, small-scale projects. There’s a great report here to inspire you
    http://locality.org.uk/news/small-beautiful-locality-calls-funding-communityled-housing/

Profile photo of Natalie
    Natalie
    Participant

Hi,

I was wondering how people/communities get started with Community Housing Projects? Housing is a big issue in my area, particularly availability of affordable family housing, but I’m pretty sure my community are unaware of their right to build community led housing. We are just about to embark on a Neighbourhood Plan so I’m hoping that this issue might be tackled as part of that.

The other issue is bringing back into use long term empty or derelict houses. How would the community begin to tackle this? What are the first steps?

Many thanks,

Natalie

Profile photo of Lyn
    Lyn
    Participant

Hi I am a Director of a local community interest company that is considering community led housing allocation as part of a Neighbourhood Plan. What are the main issues that we will face and is there any support available to projects that are new to CLH.
    Steve?

How to start a community led housing project is the subject of a very good toolkit which you can find here. http://mycommunity.org.uk/resources/community-led-housing-toolkit-1-how-to-get-your-project-up-and-running/

Essentially, the main issues are around the securing of land, and the funding and finance package needed to support your project.

If you have a basic idea f what you want to achieve and have identified some land, you could potentially apply for Community Buildings Pre-feasibility funding of up to £10,000 to help you scope out the project and decide on its viability. Find more about this here. http://mycommunity.org.uk/programme/community-housing/?_a=funding

Profile photo of Lyn
    Lyn
    Participant

Hi,

I was wondering how people/communities get started with Community Housing Projects? Housing is a big issue in my area, particularly availability of affordable family housing, but I’m pretty sure my community are unaware of their right to build community led housing. We are just about to embark on a Neighbourhood Plan so I’m hoping that this issue might be tackled as part of that.

The other issue is bringing back into use long term empty or derelict houses. How would the community begin to tackle this? What are the first steps?

Many thanks,

Natalie
    [

Hi Natalie.
    Neighbourhood Planning is a good way to get into community led housing because it requires communities to really think about the kind of housing their community needs and where it should be sited. there is funding and support available for NP . http://mycommunity.org.uk/programme/neighbourhood-planning/

Starting with empty homes is also a great idea. You can get more information from http://self-help-housing.org/ and you might like to see the story of Middlesbrough CLT here as an inspirational example of what can be achieved. http://mycommunity.org.uk/programme/community-housing/?_a=stories

However, Community Right to Build does not, as its name suggests, give communities an actual Right to Build. This process is actually a way of gaining planning consent without having to ask your local planning authority. There’s more on it here http://mycommunity.org.uk/resources/right-to-build-step-by-step-guides/

If you would like more detailed information on starting a CLH project, please feel free to contact Locality.

See http://mycommunity.org.uk/programme/community-housing/?_a=stories

Profile photo of Lyn
    Lyn
    Participant

I think it’s worth pointing out that CLH is a real option for new and existing community groups, and while it won’t solve the housing crisis at a stroke, it does give local people the opportunity to get involved in housing projects that are designed to meet a real need in their communities. For many groups, they also offer an income stream through rentals – a point which can be crucial if community organisations are to be sustainable in the long term.

Profile photo of Lyn
    Lyn
    Participant

Locality has some great members working in community-led housing. Here are just a few:
    Canopy Housing in Leeds. http://www.canopyhousingproject.org/This is how they describe themselves…

Canopy is a self-help, community housing project based in inner city Leeds.
    We renovate derelict houses to create decent homes for people that are homeless.

Our volunteer team and staff work with the new tenant to paint, decorate and
    furnish their new home. Through our practical work we bring together lots of
    volunteers from the local community to learn skills, increase confidence, break
    down barriers and make big improvements to local neighbourhoods.

Saffron Lane Neighbourhood Council in the heart of urban Leicester is currently busy building 60 affordable houses on a piece of land that was transferred to them by Leicester City Council for just £1. Up until this year, they h ad never been involved in community led housing, but they are no looking at a further 18 houses in phase 2 of their plans.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.