Welcome Guest, please login to post to forums

Introduce yourself here…

Home The Just Act Forum Ask a question… Introduce yourself here…

This topic contains 42 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Emma Emma 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Elizabeth
    Elizabeth

Here is the place to introduce yourself and your project.

It would be great if you could briefly share a little bit about yourself and your project, then tell us what was your motivation to first become active in your community?

Don’t worry about making it too long and wordy – this is just to get the chat started.

Profile photo of Gloria
    Gloria
    Participant

Hi My Name is Gloria Gain and I am the co-ordinator of Shenley Seniors, we are a fifty
    plus group who meet weekly. We have a varied programme and also arrange holidays and days out. We advocate intergenerational working and involve young people as often as we can. After working for 13 years heading up the Bournville Village Trust Community Team. I now volunteer and work within and support others in community activities.

Profile photo of Mark
    Mark
    Participant

Hi, my name is Mak Thomas. I a, Chairman of Peer Support, a service-user led and run charity for people with mental health problems in both Lancaster and Morecambe. We offer therapeutic activities trips, holidays and one to one support with benefits, housing etc. I am also Chairman of the Lancaster and Morecambe mental health service-user forum and Chairman for the NCompass health trainer feedback and involvement group in the Lancaster District and for Fylde and Wyre. I, also, sit on the NCompass Citizen Involvement Board.

Profile photo of Cheryl
    Cheryl
    Participant

Hi My name is Cheryl Fereday I am the Youth & Community Co-ordinator at Worcester Community Trust, I support a team of youth & community workers to deliver activities across Worcester City including Youth Open Access and structured sessions, Boxing Clubs, Football Camps, Community lunch and Supper Clubs, Afternoon Tea, over 50’s exercise, Parent & Toddler groups, activities and support for older people in residential homes and lots more…. we work to identify the needs of the community and develop projects and programmes to meet these needs ensuring that our members are at the heart of everything we do.

Profile photo of Tahir Khan
    Tahir Khan
    Participant

Hi my name is Tahir Khan; I am 66 years old and have lived in the UK since 1965. Over the past three decades I have worked in the community tackling racial discrimination and promoting community cohesion. I am a legal Immigration Adviser and Chairperson of Unity Organisation, Black Minority Ethnic (BME) Network and Sustainable Sunderland. Unity was established in Sunderland in 1980 as a Multicultural Centre supporting vulnerable members of the community regardless of race and culture. We introduced new ideas to fill the gap for provisions within the local community. Helped authorities and Educational establishments to revise their policies in order to improve services to the whole community and raising awareness of BME issues. Through volunteering we offer work experience opportunities. We host Multicultural festivals breaking racial barriers and sharing cultural heritage. Other projects include Counselling, Debt management, Kids club, Leisure and well-being sessions for both men and women. Four years ago I stepped down as a school governor however I now visit schools and colleges exploring and sharing local history and how the UK was in the mid 60’s to date through Equality and Diversity awareness sessions.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for introducing yourselves – it’s great to read a bit more about what you do!

If you’re online now, there is a live discussion over in this thread on safeguarding children (with expert advice from the Safe Network): http://www.justact.org.uk/forums/topic/decembers-live-discussion-15-december-1230-130pm/#post-9104

Or if you’re not free now, we’ll leave it open for you to add your comments/questions over the next few days.

Charlotte

Profile photo of Rhoda
    Rhoda
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I am Rhoda Ibrahim, Coordinator of SAAFI community organization in Brent. SAAFI is a community based organization founded and led by Somali mothers from refugee background to help each other and their families for positive integration. SAAFI provides advice, information and guidance for the most vulnerable in the community. We also deliver skills training and thematic workshops for raising awareness and advocate for the issues affect the women and their children.

I am community builder with more than 28 years experience in management level and hands-on community development, human rights issues and peace building work with United Nations, International organizations and community groups to help with the war torn communities and organizations from the Horn of Africa; in the UK, Djibouti, Yemen, Somalia, Somaliland, and Ethiopia.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of Rhoda Rhoda.
    Elizabeth

Hi Rhoda!

Great to have you here – your project sounds amazing. Looking forward to chatting with you more and learning about what you do.

Lizzy

Profile photo of Natasha
    Natasha
    Participant

Hi all! My name is Natasha Steer and I work within multiple community projects in Medway, Kent.

I run Creatabot – a small community lead arts organisation – currently concentrating on the CreataboX At Home project that provides people who are socially isolated with free creative kits to make items that go into an art vending machine!

I also work for Nucleus Arts – concentrating on their Arts Inclusive programme which helps people from all backgrounds to be involved in creativity and used creativity to help with health and wellbeing.

Additionally I also volunteer for Princes Trust and am on the board for Medway Speakers Corner – a literal platform promoting free speech.

I believe in following the declaration of human rights!

Hi Natasha!

Great to hear from you and look forward to getting you involved on the site very soon.

We’re planning our next discussions and activities for Community Champions at the moment – watch this space….

Charlotte

Profile photo of Jim
    Jim
    Participant

Hi,

I’m Jim Sheeran from Innisfree.

Our organisation is 30 years old in 2015 and we are here to help improve the lifestyles of people especially, older Irish people living in London.

We are developing several projects but the success of 2014 was the development of several allotment plots which helps keep people fit, meet new friends and share good locally-grown food with others. We worked with Sufra NW London to harvest produce, cook food and eat meals together over the Summer

We’re looking forward to new exciting things to do in 2015!

Jim Sheeran – Community Initiatives Officer – Innisfree Housing Association

Profile photo of Tracey
    Tracey
    Participant

Hi,
    My name is Tracey Smith and I am Martock Job Club Coordinator and part of the Our Place Martock team looking at ways to make Martock an even better, self reliant and vibrant community.

Following a period of community engagement and conversation, door step interviews, community events, Christmas events, questionnaires, evaluations, the list goes on as we realised the most important part of the whole project was listening to our residents. From this research the core values and aims for Our Place Martock were developed:

Building Self reliance
    Access to Services
    Addressing social isolation
    Enhancing employability
    Community Coordination.

We are currently developing and building on services already in Martock and pioneering new ideas to strengthen our community.

A very exciting 2015 ahead for Martock

Elizabeth

Hi Jim and Tracey!

Great to have you on board – it’s always great to see how different community projects work. Sounds like 2015 is going to be a really exciting year for both of you.

Lizzy

Elizabeth

Hi everyone – quick one from me. In our January Live Chats topic, Matthew has asked about how to work with volunteers and develop a strategy as a team. Have any of you run projects where you’ve done this, and have any advice to share?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of Elizabeth Elizabeth.
    Profile photo of Heather
    Heather
    Participant

Hello everyone. I’m Heather and I work for a large, busy, multi-purpose community central in Islington, central London. I run the community gardening projects here – working with different users of the centre as well as various groups in the surrounding area. I run a weekly volunteer group which maintains the container food garden on our first floor terrace. People are referred to this group from a number of partner organisations on social prescription or can just come along.
    I also work closely with the council on projects on local parks and social housing estates and with corporate groups who want to do practical volunteer work.
    As well as the gardening I organise cookery classes where we learn to cook what we have grown. I am also beginning to explore home remedies/herbal medicine as this is something that seems to interest more and more people.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.