Welcome Guest, please login to post to forums

Friday 31 October, 12:30-1:30pm: Live discussion

Home The Just Act Forum Ask a question… Friday 31 October, 12:30-1:30pm: Live discussion

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rich Rich 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Elizabeth
    Elizabeth

Hi everyone,

Here is the place to come for this month’s live discussion. Join us on Friday 31 October from 12:30-1:30pm.

This month, we’ll be chatting about how to show the difference your project is making.

We’ll be after any tips you can share on how you do this to encourage donations or attract funders, and any tools or techniques that you find work really well.

Look forward to it, see you then!
    Lizzy

Elizabeth

Hi everyone,

Welcome to October’s live discussion (you may have noticed that the forum has had a little bit of a makeover since last month!)

To kick things off, if you’re here, please give us a quick hello & introduction to your project so we can find out who is about.

Thanks,
    Lizzy

Profile photo of Rich
    Rich
    Participant

Howdy all! I’m going to be flitting back and forth as today is more hectic than expected, so here are some tips to start off. πŸ™‚

PHOTOS – Before and after photos can work a treat if your project makes a physical difference to a place. (Make sure to take pics from the exact same angle and distance.)

FEEDBACK – Use SurveyMonkey or another survey website to create a short and clear feedback survey. Think hard what format you would like certain answers in, e.g. yes/no, multiple choice, open answer

VIDEO – This can combine feedback with a look at how your project is transforming a community. Perfect for embedding on websites and social media, and potential funders can even view from mobile devices. Make it short – 90 seconds keeps it digestible and shareworthy.

INVEST IN A DESIGNER – People want to see why a project is worth funding, but with so many other projects around you need to fight to get their attention! Infographics, stylish charts and other clever and eye-catching design can work wonders.

Elizabeth

Howdy all! I’m going to be flitting back and forth as today is more hectic than expected, so here are some tips to start off. :-)

PHOTOS – Before and after photos can work a treat if your project makes a physical difference to a place. (Make sure to take pics from the exact same angle and distance.)

FEEDBACK – Use SurveyMonkey or another survey website to create a short and clear feedback survey. Think hard what format you would like certain answers in, e.g. yes/no, multiple choice, open answer

VIDEO – This can combine feedback with a look at how your project is transforming a community. Perfect for embedding on websites and social media, and potential funders can even view from mobile devices. Make it short – 90 seconds keeps it digestible and shareworthy.

INVEST IN A DESIGNER – People want to see why a project is worth funding, but with so many other projects around you need to fight to get their attention! Infographics, stylish charts and other clever and eye-catching design can work wonders.

Thanks for joining us, Rich! Good to have you here.

Could you tell us a little bit about how you used those tips for your project and what impact you think they’re having?

Hi,

Here at CDF we have funded thousands of projects and the most memorable things that projects have sent in to show us what they have achieved are:

1. videos – especially links to youtube videos from events, where we get a real sense of the atmosphere and activities on the day
    2. photos – with people in, with decent lighting (so outside in the daytime) preferably doing an activity – again which really captures the event or activity we have funded
    3. leaflets or posters – if you get these designed up, you could send a scanned copy to the funder, especially if you’ve used their logo as it’s nice to see how you are presenting your project to the community
    4. Anyone else brave enough to add in their thoughts?

Charlotte

Profile photo of Catherina
    Catherina
    Participant

Hi
    I’m Catherina from Newmarket Community Events

Elizabeth

Hi
    I’m Catherina from Newmarket Community Events

Hi Catherina!
    Do you fancy telling us a little bit about how you’ve been able to show the difference your project has made in your community? Have you found this process difficult?

Profile photo of Kerry-Anne
    Kerry-Anne
    Participant

Hi,

At Cadence Cafe CIC we track progress in several ways.

Social Media – We update multiple social media sites daily with statuses on the progress.
    Photos& Videos – Being a media hub we’re big into media and track a lot of our progress with it. Make sure what you put up is action packed. Ensure people are doing things in the photos and take a before and after photo if it is something tangible like renovating a building. Also, include short statements of what people have said about your project in your videos and again do a before and after shot.
    Newspapers – I must write about 3 press releases a week, but contacting the local newspaper is a really good way to keep your community up to date with your project.
    Testimonials – Write down what people have said about the work you have done. Ask them if they would mind writing a sentence or two about how your project has made a difference and what they have gained from this.
    Feedback – SurveyMonkey is a really useful resource to collate feedback about your project.
    Monthly Newsletters – Write a simple newsletter (make is visually vibrant) and put it up in windows of local businesses to inform the community about what you’re up to and how you’re making a difference.
    Wesbite – Update your organisation’s website on any progress a project has made. This is a brilliant place to put down any feedback and testimonials you’ve had back.

Thanks for reading!
    Kerry-Anne

Elizabeth

Thanks so much Kerry-Anne! They’re all brilliant tips.

Has anyone here from time to time struggled with demonstrating their impact? Have you found that recording things can be time-consuming for volunteers and small teams, or take the focus away from actually working to improve your community?

Catherina
    Participant

Hi
    I only started the company in May.
    I run a successful Area PTA Association in Newmarket and it became clear that there was no one place you could find out what was happening in the community, I therefore started my website and it’s all about communication

Catherina
    Participant

The main difficulty is getting the information needed sent to me, I spend an awful lot of time chasing people instead of uploading events which is frustrating

Elizabeth

Hi
    I only started the company in May.
    I run a successful Area PTA Association in Newmarket and it became clear that there was no one place you could find out what was happening in the community, I therefore started my website and it’s all about communication

Sounds like a brilliant (and much needed) project.

Have you (or anyone else) found it useful to collect information about your project and the difference it has made? Has it helped with applying for funding, or spreading the word, or getting more donations?

Elizabeth

The main difficulty is getting the information needed sent to me, I spend an awful lot of time chasing people instead of uploading events which is frustrating

Interesting point – that can be really time-consuming. Does anyone have any tips on how to make this process easier?

Kerry-Anne
    Participant

It can be difficult to strike a balance between doing the work and demonstrating it.

We have a filming/editing volunteer who does the majority of the work for us. It’s valuable work experience for them and helps us also.

I’m passionate about photography so I’ll get involved with that and the social media work our administrative assistant does for us.

It’s all about finding what everyone is good at and honing in on those skills so that it works for everyone.

A good website to advertise for a volunteer for anything you may need in your organisation is http://www.do-it.org — you’ll be surprised how many people are looking for work experience in their craft.

Kerry-Anne
    Participant

It’s important to capture information and feedback as soon as possible.

Preferably the minute the project has ended, that way you’re not chasing people for weeks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.