Welcome Guest, please login to post to forums

Friday 26 September, 12-1pm: live discussion

Home The Just Act Forum Ask a question… Friday 26 September, 12-1pm: live discussion

This topic contains 40 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Elizabeth Elizabeth 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Elizabeth
    Elizabeth

Hi everyone,
    Thanks to everyone who particpated in the Doodle Poll – I can now announce the next live discussion will be:
    Friday 26 September,12-1pm.
    Last month we talked about funding, this month the topic will be:
    What other support do community projects need to thrive?
    I'm really excited for this one: we'll be sharing findings from CDF's upcoming report, all about community groups and what makes them unique. We'll be on hand to share tips and insights on what makes groups like yours tick and how CDF are influencing funders to make sure they know what you need.
    The discussion will take place right here, see you then!

Elizabeth

Hi everyone,
    We are live!
    First things first- who’s here? If you could briefly introduce yourself and your project we can get started.
    Lizzy

Profile photo of Ralph
    Ralph
    Participant

Morning everyone, Ralph from Submit 2 Success – From personal experience I would say it needs those members of the community who have their community at the centre of their agenda and want better for their individual areas. For my project for example I have always been passionate not just about my town but about working with young people (being a youth worker) and fitness. I simply combined the three of these to establish my organisation, so my short answer would be those motivated enough and who want change for their local communities.

Profile photo of Kelly
    Kelly
    Participant

Hi all
    I’m Kelly, the research manager at CDF. We’ve been looking at the support community groups need to do their work and I’m looking forward to hearing about what this is like for groups in practice

Elizabeth

[b]Quote from rpresgrave on September 26, 2014, 12:00[/b]
    Morning everyone, Ralph from Submit 2 Success – From personal experience I would say it needs those members of the community who have their community at the centre of their agenda and want better for their individual areas. For my project for example I have always been passionate not just about my town but about working with young people (being a youth worker) and fitness. I simply combined the three of these to establish my organisation, so my short answer would be those motivated enough and who want change for their local communities.

Hi Ralph!
    Glad you’re here.

This month we’re talking about what groups need to thrive, and the support they’ll need to get there. My first question is about facilities – think buildings, meeting spaces and equipment to get your group going.

What do you use, what do you need and how did you find them?

Elizabeth

[b]Quote from kwalshy on September 26, 2014, 12:01[/b]
    I’m Kelly, the research manager at CDF. We’ve been looking at the support community groups need to do their work and I’m looking forward to hearing about what this is like for groups in practice

Hi Kelly! Could you tell us a little bit about the research? What do you think groups need the most?

Profile photo of Ralph
    Ralph
    Participant

Buildings are in such a short supply at present, for example due to the cuts many of the council ran buildings have been forced into asset transfer which comes with increased rate hikes. Luckily we still have a parish council owned building within our town whcih is free from LA control, as a result we have slowly built up a local community team who run the commitee and keep the building afloat (just) there is not enough investment for community venues like this imho

Elizabeth

[b]Quote from rpresgrave on September 26, 2014, 12:05[/b]
    Buildings are in such a short supply at present, for example due to the cuts many of the council ran buildings have been forced into asset transfer which comes with increased rate hikes. Luckily we still have a parish council owned building within our town whcih is free from LA control, as a result we have slowly built up a local community team who run the commitee and keep the building afloat (just) there is not enough investment for community venues like this imho

That’s really interesting – what advice would you give another group in your position?

Profile photo of Ralph
    Ralph
    Participant

Who are struggling with finding a building? You really need to get on board with your MPs and Councillors; tell them that rates are too high (if that is the case) if your community organisation is not for profitt (which it should be) then there is perhaps something that can be done to get reduced rates. It was the first thing I did when establishing S2S. The conservatives always pushed this Big Society message in the early days of the election and yes there are plenty of likeminded folk who want to make a difference to their communities, but the last thing they want to do is be out of pocket. I think CDF and Community First have greatly assisted in many groups setting up ideas they would not have the courage to do for fear of losing out financially, it takes a lot of guts to out your money where your mouth is, especially when you are not really gaining any financial incentive. Back to my first point it needs good eager indivuduals, a good community focused idea, targeting a high need in the ward or parish and thirdly good local bacjking.

Elizabeth

Thank you Ralph, that’s all such great stuff!

What about guidance? Did you get enough guidance about how to set up your group when you first started? Who from?

Profile photo of Sandra
    Sandra
    Participant

Hi again all
    It’s Sandra from the Friends of Hopwood Park.

We were a small group when we started out with absolutely nothing except a pretty run down green space. We have gradually built ourselves up into an incorporated charity with a reasonably healthy bank balance and an improved green space where the community now enjoy going for recreation and relaxation.

We raised just

Profile photo of Kelly
    Kelly
    Participant

Hi Kelly! Could you tell us a little bit about the research? What do you think groups need the most?[/quote]

Hi Lizzy
    We conducted a piece of research called ‘Tailor-made’ looking at the value of the community sector. As part of this we looked at what support groups need in order to do their work. We found a whole range of support needs from practical things such as buildings and facilities to guidance and advice or personal development.

Elizabeth

Quote from sandratrickett on September 26, 2014, 12:17
    We were a small group when we started out with absolutely nothing except a pretty run down green space. We have gradually built ourselves up into an incorporated charity with a reasonably healthy bank balance and an improved green space where the community now enjoy going for recreation and relaxation.

We raised just

Elizabeth

[b]Quote from kwalshy on September 26, 2014, 12:18[/b]
    We conducted a piece of research called ‘Tailor-made’ looking at the value of the community sector. As part of this we looked at what support groups need in order to do their work. We found a whole range of support needs from practical things such as buildings and facilities to guidance and advice or personal development.

What area of guidance do you think groups need the most? How can groups go about finding it?

Profile photo of Ralph
    Ralph
    Participant

Not really, I touted a lot of council departments and funding bodies \"but you havent got a constitution\" \"but you’re not established and you cant access funding unless you are established\" \"no funding available unless you can produce previous 3 years of accounts\" were some of my replies.
    Step by step we attended a lot of dead end meetings, created a constitution, got out bank account and then beg and borrowed the rest of our equipment. It wasnt until we had some hard evidence of what we were doing was actually working that the funders ears pricked up and we got our first pot of funding from the olympic legacy charity Sported.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.