Welcome Guest, please login to post to forums

Do-it live chat

Home The Just Act Forum Ask a question… Do-it live chat

This topic contains 36 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Gemma Gemma 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Gemma
    Gemma

Hi Everyone

Just a reminder that at 2pm today Nicky from Do-it will be online in the forum to answer any questions you might have about volunteering, and to talk about how Do-it can help you and your project.

So, get your questions ready and we’ll see you this afternoon!

Any problems with your log in or questions you have about the forum just email us at communications@cdf.org.uk

Gemma

Profile photo of Michal
    Michal
    Participant

Hi there

I work for a local authority and we involve volunteers in various projects. I use Do-it to promote volunteering opportunities and I must say I am happy with the number of potential candidates that come my way after seeing an add on Do-it.
    My question is:
    Can you change the registration process for the person looking for an opportunity to make the background information a mandatory field? All details that I obtain most of the time when the person registers an interest in the opportunity is their name and phone or an email address. It would be useful to know something about them before I make the initial contact.

Regards
    Michal Czekajlo

Profile photo of Gemma
    Gemma

Hi Michal,

Thanks for getting in touch – it’s great to hear that you use the site and find it useful. Nicky from Do-it will be online from 2pm, so I’ll make sure your question is top of the list for her when we start.

If you can be online at 2pm, we’ll chat to you then!

Gemma

Profile photo of Gemma
    Gemma

Hello everyone,

Welcome to the live chat with Do-it.

If you have any questions about anything volunteering related or around using the Do-it site, then we’d love to hear from you! Just post your questions or comments directly in this thread.

Nicky, when you’re ready to start just let us know!

Profile photo of Nicky
    Nicky
    Participant

Ready-to-go!

Profile photo of Sheila
    Sheila
    Participant

Hi I’m Sheila from Edwinstowe United Community Association North Nottinghamshire. This is our first flight into recruiting volunteers and whilst exciting it also seems daunting.

We have a team meeting tonight and would love to take some tips on what to avoid if that is possible.

Profile photo of Gemma
    Gemma

Hi Nicky,

Thanks for coming on and chatting to us today.

Just to kick us off, could you just introduce yourself, tell us what your role is and give us a bit of background on Do-it in case people aren’t familiar it?

Profile photo of Nicky
    Nicky
    Participant

Hello everyone,

My name is Nicky Johnston and I’m part of the team at Do-it.org.

Do-it.org is the UK’s largest volunteering database. We have over a million volunteering opportunities and approx. 250,000 unique users a month.

I happy to help you get started using Do-it, how to use the service better or general volunteer recruitment.

Profile photo of Sheila
    Sheila
    Participant

please can someone tell – am I in the right place?

Profile photo of Gemma
    Gemma

Hi I’m Sheila from Edwinstowe United Community Association North Nottinghamshire. This is our first flight into recruiting volunteers and whilst exciting it also seems daunting.

We have a team meeting tonight and would love to take some tips on what to avoid if that is possible.

Great question Sheila.

Nicky, can you help?

Profile photo of Gemma
    Gemma

Hi Sheila,

Yes, you’re in the right place. Thanks for the question. The replies are live so sometimes it takes a few minutes to arrive!

Profile photo of Michal
    Michal
    Participant

Hi All
    I should have said I work for the City of York Council. Nicky – please have a look at my first post. Is this achievable?

Regards

Profile photo of Nicky
    Nicky
    Participant

Hi Sheila,

Yep – you’re in the right place!

There are 3 top tips I’d give you for using Do-it to recruit volunteers for the first time:

1.) Know what you need.

Potential volunteers respond much better to a specific role than a general ask for ‘volunteers’. So, have a good think with your team tonight and make sure you know exactly what roles and tasks you want the volunteers to undertake. Basically, don’t just ask for 10 ‘Volunteers’ – ask for 1 gardener, 1 social media helper, etc.

2.) Give a good experience.

Volunteers are offering you their skills for free to treat them with respect. Always try to respond to applications as quickly as possible & let them know if their application is unsuccessful. Communication is key.

3.) Keep it interesting.

Finally, make your advert stand out! Write interesting and personality-filled copy for your Do-it listing & make sure you include a photo to catch volunteers’ interest.

Profile photo of Sheila
    Sheila
    Participant

Thanks Nicky, we are about to undertake a community survey to find out what our community wants and needs and then aim to get a community action plan in place with some identified volunteers who want to run with some of the projects.

Profile photo of Nicky
    Nicky
    Participant

Hi there

I work for a local authority and we involve volunteers in various projects. I use Do-it to promote volunteering opportunities and I must say I am happy with the number of potential candidates that come my way after seeing an add on Do-it.
    My question is:
    Can you change the registration process for the person looking for an opportunity to make the background information a mandatory field? All details that I obtain most of the time when the person registers an interest in the opportunity is their name and phone or an email address. It would be useful to know something about them before I make the initial contact.

Regards
    Michal Czekajlo

Hi Michal,

Thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately, we don’t have any plans to increase the number of mandatory fields on Do-it.

We used to ask volunteers to supply more info when applying but received substantial feedback saying they were unhappy with this. Often, volunteers are asked to fill out another form once they got in touch with the organisation themselves, so they didn’t like having to supply info twice!

Instead, we have made the new Do-it as light-touch as possible so that they are happy filling out a more lengthy form directly with the organisation. However, we are working to encourage potential volunteers on Do-it to include more information during application voluntarily.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of Nicky Nicky.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.