Welcome Guest, please login to post to forums

Devolution Live Chat – Monday 7 December 10am

Home The Just Act Forum Ask a question… Devolution Live Chat – Monday 7 December 10am

This topic contains 21 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Gemma Gemma 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Gemma
    Gemma

Hi Everyone,

We’ve got a very exciting live chat coming up next Monday with the experts on Devolution!

We’ll have Warwick Hawkins online, a member of the Local Services Transformation Team in the Big Society and Community Rights Division within DCLG. He leads policy on devolution into neighbourhoods and will be here to answer any questions you might have around Devolution policy.

Warwick will also be joined by Richard Bradley, Deputy Chief Executive to the PCC of Gloucestershire. Lead for the Community Safety section of the Gloucestershire Devolution Bid , the only Bid in the UK with Community safety included and one which values the inclusion and support of the VCS and uses the strengths of the Community.

So, if you have any questions at all about Devolution, the process of putting together a bid or any thoughts on how it might affect your community then we’d love to hear from you! Make sure you log in so you can take part. The chat starts at 10am and will finish at 11.30am.

For context, take a look at the brief document attached before the chat.

As always, if you can’t make the chat on Monday then please leave your questions and comments in this thread and we’ll make sure they get answered.

Any questions or problems with your account please email communications@cdf.org.uk

Gemma

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of adrianashton
    adrianashton

sadly I won’t be able to join in for this owing to prior commitments to be meeting with several local communities that day…

however, it might be of interest/relevance to share that GMCVO have been doing a lot of activity to explore the devolution agenda across Greater Manchester (the vanguard/flagship area for the devolution agenda) from the perspective of local communities and community enterprise. This has recently included some high-profile regional conferences, and they also have various materials updated on their website: https://www.gmcvo.org.uk/devolution

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

**Gemma**

Hi Gemma.

NALC hopes that all My Community parish councils take part in Monday’s Devolution web chat.

Thanks,

Chris (NALC)

Profile photo of Gemma
    Gemma

Hi All,
    Just a quick reminder for anyone wanting to join in today, you’ll need to register for an account to post a question. It only takes a minute, just click register at the top of the page to sign up.
    If you’re following the chat, remember to tick the box at the bottom of the thread to be notified by email of new posts, this way you won’t need to refresh the forum and you’ll keep up in real time.

Enjoy the chat! Any problems with the site, email communications@cdf.org.uk
    If you need to change your password you can do it on the log in page by clicking forgotten password.

Gemma

Profile photo of Warwick
    Warwick
    Participant

Good morning everyone! Looking forward to a lively conversation kicking off in 7 minutes or so. The main point I’d make from the start is that there is plenty of time for neighbourhoods and local communtiy groups to be part of the devolution agenda – when Deals are announced it’s the start not the finish. But you should be starting to get your arguments ready – have a read of the attachments to see some of the things you can do…
    Warwick

Profile photo of Gemma
    Gemma

Hi Everyone,

In the unpredictable nature of live chats and technology, we’re unfortunately having a few technical difficulties on Richards end, so for this chat he’ll be replying to your posts by email to me, and then I’ll post them here for you to see.

Apologies for any confusion or inconvenience caused by this. Just think wherever you see me, it’s actually Richard!

Gemma

Profile photo of Margaret
    Margaret
    Participant

Morning, I’m happy to join, I’m Margaret Firth and I work for the Office for Civil Society (OCS) Local Team based in the SW. OCS works to support civil society and supports policy development and delivery relating to Sector Sustainability, Social Action, Social Finance and Investment and Youth policy. The Local Team has a local outreach role and is keen to support the sector, local authorities, LEPs and other local partners engage as devolution plans develop.

Profile photo of Warwick
    Warwick
    Participant

Good morning Margaret and welcome to everyone – the webchat is now OPEN. Please do let Margaret and me have any questions you may have about what ‘onward’ devolution into neighbourhoods is and how it’s working. We’ll try to answer any specific questions people have or discuss developments in general.

Profile photo of Barney
    Barney
    Participant

Hi, Barney from NAVCA. Devolution is obviously not getting down to communities yet – but this obviously has to be our aim. Communities and neighbourhoods are going to be at different stages of readiness to take advantage of devolution. How do we ensure that double devolution is not just for the most ready and able neighbourhoods?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Barney Barney.
    Profile photo of Gemma
    Gemma

Hello everyone this is Richard, I am able to answer any question related to the Gloucestershire Devolution Bid that links to Community safety, we have yet to have our bid approved by Government but am happy to discuss our approach and link to the community.

Profile photo of Warwick
    Warwick
    Participant

Thanks Barney, good question. I guess it’s about sharing good practice – we would hope that community groups that are delivering services in an efficient and cost-effective way will share their experience with similar groups in neighbouring areas and encourage them to make their case to those undertaking Devolution Deal negotiations. There could also be a role for umbrella bodies such as yours in disseminating ‘what works’ case studies and spreading the onward devolution narrative.

Profile photo of Warwick
    Warwick
    Participant

Welcome Richard, good to have you with us as someone who’s actually ‘doing’ onward devolution in the community. Although Government hasn’t yet approved Gloucestershire’s bid we do know that Ministers are very much in support of the ‘subsidiarity’ principle, i.e. pushing decision-making down as far into communities as it will sensibly go.

Profile photo of Gemma
    Gemma

Hi, Barney from NAVCA. Devolution is obviously not getting down to communities yet – but this obviously has to be our aim. Communities and neighbourhoods are going to be at different stages of readiness to take advantage of devolution. How do we ensure that double devolution is not just for the most ready and able neighbourhoods?

A good point, for a number of reasons the process to secure a Combined Authority for Gloucestershire has been progressed at a fast pace and at a very strategic level. The key stage for me is that ,subject to approval by Government, we need to consult on a wider basis and that means engaging and consulting with our communities to a grass roots level. This will enable a total understanding of Devolution and then how can we maximise the strength and contribution of our communities. This will take time ,the Devolution bid and approval should be seen as the start of a journey and we will have many months to engage before a combined authority is fully functional .

Profile photo of Gemma
    Gemma

Welcome Richard, good to have you with us as someone who’s actually ‘doing’ onward devolution in the community. Although Government hasn’t yet approved Gloucestershire’s bid we do know that Ministers are very much in support of the ‘subsidiarity’ principle, i.e. pushing decision-making down as far into communities as it will sensibly go.

Thank you Warwick, one of the key elements of the Community Safety section is to work closely with Communities and to maximise the strengths of our communities and voluntary sector. We have a proven approach through the office of the Police and Crime Commissioner where we have funded over 240 community based projects that support the delivery of the police and Crime plan for Gloucestershire, some of the projects are having a tremendous affect.

Profile photo of James
    James
    Participant

Hi all – James from DCLG here.

Just to add to Warwick’s reply to Barney, as well as individual groups at neighbourhood level sharing good practice, I think Local Authorities too can share good practice in onward devolution. For example, there are Local Authorities who are helping to build the capacity of community groups and town and parish councils to help them get ready to take on a greater role. That can involve assisting with training requirements, making it easier to access professional services, such as by opening up access to in-house legal services, and more. Ultimately it will be in LAs’ interest to see onward devolution happen, so providing that support is a forward-looking approach.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.