Welcome Guest, please login to post to forums

Conflicts of Interest

Home The Just Act Forum Ask a question… Conflicts of Interest

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jeff Jeff 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Elizabeth
    Elizabeth
    Participant

We are starting a Neighbourhood Plan. The most vocal parishioners wishing to be on the Steering Group and the landowners with land to develop and those who live around the potential sites.

How do we include them all but not allow their views to dominate? I was thinking of splitting the village into zones and each zone having a vote on the Steering Group, including all the land owners and businesses on the Steering Group but not allowing them to vote. I want the Steering Group to be inclusive and yet at the same time I don’t want the resulting plan to be fair and therefore adopted by the village. Any ideas?

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

**Elizabeth**

Hi Elizabeth.

I recommend calling the My Community helpline on 0300 020 1864.

Hope this helps,

Chris (NALC)

Profile photo of Lorraine
    Lorraine
    Participant

Hi Elizabeth

Have you got a terms of reference for the steering group that has been agreed and does it discuss its composition to ensure that all areas of the Parish are covered? If not perhaps it would be a worthwhile addition to the Steering Group TOR.
    It may be worth producing a JD for Steering Group members that sets out their responsibilities in relation to Neighbourhood plan making in relation to the Consultation Statement (one of the documents required for a NP submission) and the content of the NP which must show clearly how policies in the Plan have emerged from wider consultation.

Hope that helps

Profile photo of Richard
    Richard
    Participant

thoroughly agree with Lorraine’s suggestions especially JD for steering group – often what people think the job involves and what it will let them do is not actually the purpose of the role.
    and your idea of zoning the neighbourhood area and have elected reps from each is also a good idea to ensure a wide input from all parts of your local community. however it will add to the cost and time of administering your governance. not a reason for not doing it but just one to plan for.
    but finally what i really wanted to add was to say that where i live (waterloo central london) we are a community very much made up of both business and local residents, as well as a lot of charities both local community ones and national ones who are based there. as a result in order to have a truly representative steering group our constitution sets out a number of member constituencies for large businesses, small businesses, large charities, small charities, TRAs and local residents. each constituency votes independently to elect members of the steering group (with sufficient numbers for the local resident, TRA and small charities constituencies so that businesses and large charities cannot control the board. this way all are involved apprpriately and it has strengthened what we can do, and the buy-in from all in our community. maybe something to consider re. bringing in landowners and local businesses so that they have a real stake but dont control. rather than just having them on the board but no vote. you can see a copy of our constitution at http://www.sowneighbours.org/documents-archive/constitution-of-the-south-bank-waterloo-neighbourhood-forum/ to see how we have set out the membership rules and the voting for the steering group. again though do note that such a structure does increase the admin of an election.

Elizabeth
    Participant

Dear Richard
    Thank you very much for being so open and helpful. I like your idea of setting out the constituent player types within the Steering Group composition. Will follow advice given. Thank you.

Elizabeth
    Participant

Hi Lorraine

I will certainly draw up a JD for each member of the Steering Group and I like the idea of a range of players to comprise the Steering Group. Thank you, I now know what to do!

Elizabeth
    Participant

Hi Chris

Done this now thanks – good contact to have. Really appreciate the advice.

Elizabeth
    Participant

Dear Lorraine
    Did you need to do a JD for your Steering Group members? If so would you be willing to let me have a copy as a starting point – if I could crib it would avoid reinventing the wheel! Many thanks

Profile photo of Lorraine
    Lorraine
    Participant

Hi

Not completely though officers did have a JD in the TOR.

Attached is an anonymised version of an interim group for establishing a NP forum (which is required in non parished areas. It includes some stuff which it may prove helpful to crib for your purposes.

I hope it is helpful
    Lorraine

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Elizabeth
    Participant

Lorraine

Thank you for taking the trouble – this is a really good starting point but more importantly confirms that my thought process is on the right track – not easy to keep a clear head when many around you are emotionally charged! Kind regards

Profile photo of Jeff
    Jeff
    Participant

Hi Elizabeth,
    I chaired our Neighbourhbood Plan Working Group (gone through the full process now, NP just adopted) and I wrote the group’s Terms of Reference, which also addressed this point. Details and a copy of the TOR are on the Gnosall Parish Council website Neighbourhood Plan section: http://www.gnosallparishcouncil.org.uk

Regards

Jeff

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.