Welcome Guest, please login to post to forums

Community Right to Bid

Home The Just Act Forum Ask a question… Community Right to Bid

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stephen Stephen 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jeff
    Jeff
    Participant

Hi, We’re a village hall committee who’ve managed to persuade the local council to place a derelict shop which is adjoined to the hall on the community assets register.
    After 2 year, we’d like to try for compulsorty puchase. The Land registry provides no address for the owners only information about charges against the property for repairs.
    According to what I read about the right to bid, the council is required to contact the owners regarding placement on the register. Their solicitor when adked for the owners address has infomed us that they do not possess this information.
    Could anyone tell us Where can we go from here?

Profile photo of Gemma
    Gemma

Hi Jeff

My name is Gemma and I’m the Network Officer at the Community Development Foundation. It sounds like you’ve done your research, but I just wanted to check that you’d found the resources in the Community Assets page of the My Community website? You can access them here http://mycommunity.org.uk/programme/community-assets/

Alternatively, if you can’t find the answer that you’re looking for you can give the helpline a call and they should be able to point you in the right direction. The number is 0300 020 1864

I hope that helps

Best Wishes
    Gemma

Profile photo of Stephen
    Stephen
    Participant

Hi, We’re a village hall committee who’ve managed to persuade the local council to place a derelict shop which is adjoined to the hall on the community assets register.
    After 2 year, we’d like to try for compulsorty puchase. The Land registry provides no address for the owners only information about charges against the property for repairs.
    According to what I read about the right to bid, the council is required to contact the owners regarding placement on the register. Their solicitor when adked for the owners address has infomed us that they do not possess this information.
    Could anyone tell us Where can we go from here?

Jeff. I’m afraid there simply isn’t a lot of detail on these types of scenarios in the Act itself. The non-statutory guidance to local authorities briefly touches on this issue, as follows:

“A local authority which is not able to give notice to any of these people in the usual way – for instance due to lack of names or addresses – can take reasonable alternative steps to bring the notice to a person’s attention. This could include, for instance, a notice attached to the property.”

So, the local authority ‘can take reasonable alternative steps’, and is encouraged, for instance, to attach a notice to the property in the hope of flushing out information about the owner. I suppose that as well as physical notices they could ‘advertise’ the fact that the asset is under consideration for listing in a host of other ways, on their website or in the local press for instance, if they were minded to do so. But the critical factor would seem to be that a valid nomination should still be given due regard within the 8 week deadline, despite the fact that the owner is apparently unknown at this point.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.