Welcome Guest, please login to post to forums

Community Organisers & Our Place Live Chat, 27 Jan, 1pm – 2pm

Home The Just Act Forum Ask a question… Community Organisers & Our Place Live Chat, 27 Jan, 1pm – 2pm

This topic contains 27 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jim Jim 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Join us here with guest hosts Naomi Diamond from the Community Organisers programme and Jim Asbury from the Our Place programme for an hour of live chat about the connections & possibilities of both programmes.

Profile photo of Jim
    Jim
    Participant

Hi everyone. Jim here. Look forward top engaging with you over the next hour or so. Any immediate questions for Naomi or myself? Fire away!

Profile photo of Jennifer
    Jennifer
    Participant

Various DCLG people also around – hello

Hi all,

I’m Charlotte from Just Act.

If anyone has any trouble logging in or wants some tips on how to use the forum – give me a shout!

Profile photo of Naomi
    Naomi
    Participant

Hi everyone. Looking forward to chatting about community organising this afternoon.

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Hello everyone. Our group is trying to purchase our village pub and shop in North Herefordshire but we are struggling to get the community on board, despite the pub having been closed in the past for over a year,any advice on how we can get them enthusiastic about the project?
    Nick

Profile photo of Katie
    Katie
    Participant

Hi Nick

I’m Katie and work in the Our Place team at DCLG. If the pub and shop are going to be viable then agree you’re definitely going to need the community on board. Have you spoken to organisations like Pub is the Hub or Plunkett to help with your campaign?

Profile photo of Naomi
    Naomi
    Participant

Hi Nick,
    Sounds like a great idea, but I guess unless you can get people to share your vision they won’t come on board. One of the things we know from community organising is that people act in their own self-interest. A community organising conversation starts by trying to find out what someone cares about enough to take a stand on or take action on. So that’s where you need to start. and you have to do it person by person. once you’ve found out what someone’s self-interest or passion is, then you need to find out what they are prepared to do, and get that commitment recorded so you can ‘activate them’ when you are ready.
    I’ll add some more in a minute, but maye you could say some more about how you have tried to get your community on board?
    Naomi

Hi Nick

This is a question for our community rights & assets team at Locality.

Take a look at some of the resources we have on the My Community Rights website (this one might be handy: http://mycommunityrights.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Community-Owned-pubs-a-quick-guide-to-saving-your-local.pdf) and if you still have questions or would like further advice, contact our Advice Service here: http://mycommunityrights.org.uk/advice-service/.

If you have any questions about how you might mobilise your community to make it a better place to live, Naomi can help with that one.

thanks!

Ah – she beat me to it! Thanks Naomi 🙂

Profile photo of Naomi
    Naomi
    Participant

Actually Bec, it’s very much a question for community organising! I’ve more to add about building a network of support, but would love to hear more from Nick first. what sort of engagement have you tried so far Nick?

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Thanks everyone! We have completed a Community led Plan, a Neighbourhood Plan and we have held a series of drop in information sessions in the evenings and weekends but we are a very dispersed rural community and people seem stuck behind their front doors! Pub is the Hub have put us in touch with one of their ambassadors but he’s based in Oxfordshire. Any ideas on an activity to bring people together and in to the pub? We are thinking about holding a Big Lunch.

Profile photo of Naomi
    Naomi
    Participant

Hi Nick
    Our community organisers find that food is a great way of bringing people together! Maybe you could do an event linked to valentines or another festive time . Make it a celebration not a ‘meeting’ and people are more likely to come. Once you’ve got people there, have a team of people primed and ready to hold 121 conversations with people to try and find out what they care about. You’re looking for people who are prepared to do something – it might be put some money in, hold a meeting in their home or village, deliver newsletters or flyers etc. gradually you’ll build a bigger team which will turn into a network. Of course, that assumes that enough people agree with you about the need to save the pub and shop. how much market research have you done so far?
    Naomi

Profile photo of Naomi
    Naomi
    Participant

Hi again Nick
    Also make sure you use all of your existing networks – schools, youth groups, churches, clubs.. try to get round and visit them and talk to people there. Face to face is by far the best way of building a campaign and getting a message out.
    Naomi

Profile photo of Naomi
    Naomi
    Participant

Hi again Nick,
    silly question – but what EXACTLY do you need your community on board for? Is it as punters, investors, volunteers, campaigners … or something else?
    Naomi

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.