Welcome Guest, please login to post to forums

Are you thinking about becoming a My Community Champion?

Home The Just Act Forum Ask a question… Are you thinking about becoming a My Community Champion?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Claire Claire 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Gemma
    Gemma

Hello,

Are you thinking about signing up to be a My Community Champion? Or have you already decided to get involved and want to know more, or maybe chat to others about what being a Champion is all about?

Well, this is the place to start! Champions are being signed up all across the country from First Steps, Our Place, Community Economic Development and Community Ownership and Management of Assets.This means there are lots of Champions out there with a huge amount of knowledge and experience – and you can all get to know each other here. You might even find you’re just around the corner from a few!

If you’ve got any questions, or you’d like to link up with other Champions then just reply to this post – it’s as simple as that!

Any questions about the forum, just email communications@cdf.org.uk and we’ll get straight back to you.

Gemma

Profile photo of Simon
    Simon
    Participant

Yes – thinking about it. I am on the CED programme through one organisation I have co-founded (Monkey Park CIC) and am hosting three community organisers through another (Loundsley Green Community Trust). Perhaps it’s a good way of sharing experiences, as I’m sure we have a lot to learn from other champions as we carry on helping our town. Don’t know muh about the champions programme though – could you post an explanation of what commitment we would need to make & what’s available in return?

Profile photo of Gemma
    Gemma

Hi Simon,

Being a My Community Champion is a really good way of sharing experiences and knowledge across the Network. You’re absolutely right when you say that there is a lot that people can learn from each other – whatever you’re doing locally, you can usually find someone who’s doing/ has done something similar and can share what they’ve learned and offer their support.

The role of a My Community Champion is to offer support to others involved with the programmes. It’s all about sharing your skills and experience with those who need a bit of advice and could benefit from some support.

When first signing up we’d recommend that you can offer 2 days of support from now until the end of March. Depending on the programme you’re involved with, the support will vary so it’s best to find out more from the project team (Sarah Broad should be able to help for CED).

Using this forum is a great way of providing support as well! If you see a post in here that you are able to offer advice on then we’d encourage people to jump in and answer where they can. The more that people use it then the more helpful it will be!

You can also get involved in helping run one of the regional My Community Hubs. These are being set up at the moment by Champions across the country and are a great way of sharing whats going on locally, to meet with others involved in similar projects and to host general events as well as programme specific training’s. I’ll be sending out more information about these shortly – watch this space!

As a Champion you’ll have the opportunity to attend national Champions networking events in addition to the general My Community Network events, and the chance to get involved with working with DCLG on the My Community Sounding Board. You’ll also have the support of your programme staff team and My Community Network.

I hope that helps Simon – let me know if you have any further questions. We could also look into running a Q&A session one day with some of the Champions from last year if that would be helpful – if it would let me know and I’ll look into it.

Gemma

Profile photo of Sheila
    Sheila
    Participant

I was accepted as a champion after the Emerging Potential Areas programme earlier this year but have yet to sort out my biography. Is this the same ‘Champions’ group?

Sheila

Hi Sheila, thanks for getting in touch. This was a different programme, but the concept is pretty much the same and it would be great to have you as a My Community Champion!
    If you’d like to get involved it’s really straightforward – if you email us at mycommunitynetwork@cdf.org.uk with your contact details and details about your project then we can start to get you set up.

Tom

Profile photo of Claire
    Claire
    Participant

I am happy to help out, currently on the ‘First Steps’ programme, if someone needs a hand with blogging, social media, arty farty stuff, I am happy to chuck in what knowledge I can share.

If that is the type of thing you are looking for?

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

**Gemma Et Al**

Hi Gemma Et Al.

Really hope that lots of councillors and clerks from Our Place and COMA councils active in My Community programmes 15-16 will put themselves forward to act as My Ciommunity Champions. Please e-mail communications@cdf.org.uk to find out more.

Thanks,

Chris (NALC)

Hi Claire,

Absolutely – that would be great – where are you based?

Charlotte

Profile photo of Claire
    Claire
    Participant

Hello I am based opp norf, well in the North West, Runcorn to be precise. Which is situated pretty much in the middle of Manchester and Liverpool.

🙂

Profile photo of david
    david
    Participant

Hi all,

I became a Community Champion for the Our Place programme in 2013 and am continuing that role now even though our direct involvement in Our Place has come to an end. In fact my organisation (Tadcaster & Rural CIC) is also now involved in the CED programme and we are looking for another Champion for that too.
    My role was very much for the region of Yorkshire and Humber, trying to act as a focal point for those engaged in Our Place and helping them get together on a couple of occasions to share practice and network. I was expecting to be contacted by potential new groups but that never happened – maybe in the future who knows? Anyway, Id encourage anyone thinking about it to do it – it’s not a life long commitment and the more of us there are, the more it becomes sustainable and utilised by groups on the ground and the funders too.
    It would be good to get all the Champions together sometime and to also factor in some real funding at some point in the future?
    cheers
    David

Profile photo of Gemma
    Gemma

Hi David

Good to hear from you, and thanks for all you’re doing as a Champion.

There will be a couple of national Champions events over the next few months where you’ll have the opportunity to all get together – there’s more to come on these events so watch this space!

Gemma

Profile photo of Claire
    Claire
    Participant

Really like the idea of networking with current champions/potential champions too 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.