Welcome Guest, please login to post to forums

10 Things you didn't know about CL Housing Projects – Live Chat 2 March 12pm!

Home The Just Act Forum Just Act live discussions 10 Things you didn't know about CL Housing Projects – Live Chat 2 March 12pm!

This topic contains 17 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Gemma Gemma 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Gemma
    Gemma

Hi Everyone

Just to let you know that on Wednesday 2 March at 12pm there will be a live chat here in this thread all about the ’10 things you didn’t know about Community-Led Housing’.

Lyn Kesterton will be here to take us through the points and will take any questions you might have. We’re really looking forward to it and hope you can make it!

As always, if you’re not available on the day you can always leave your questions here in this thread.
    You’ll need to be logged in to Just Act to post in the forum. If you’ve forgotten your password you can change it on the log in page and if you have any other technical issues please email communications@cdf.org.uk

Thanks
    Gemma

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

**Gemma**

Hi Gemma.

Thanks for that. NALC warmly encourages as many My Community parishes as possible to take part in this exciting CL housing live chat on 2/3.

Thanks for this,

Chris (NALC)

Profile photo of Gemma
    Gemma

Hi All,

Looking forward to the live chat starting at midday here in this thread, all about the 10 things you didn’t know about Community-Led Housing!

As usual, if there are any technical problems then you can email communications@cdf.org.uk or give me a call on 020 7812 5452

If you’ve forgotten your password you can change it on the log in page.

Looking forward to hearing all your questions at 12pm!

Gemma

Profile photo of Lyn
    Lyn
    Participant

Hi
    I’ll be starting this live chat shortly. Please send me any questions relating to community led housing projects and I will try to help.
    Lyn Kesterton

Profile photo of Lyn
    Lyn
    Participant

Hi Everyone.
    Today I’ll be posting 10 facts interesting and/or unusual facts about community led housing projects. please feel free to comment or ask questions – I’ll be happy to answer as many as I can!

First up:
    There is no limit on how small or large a community-led housing development can be. Whether it’s two homes, 102 homes, or even bigger, communities are able to build and manage developments to match the needs of their communities and lots already do!

Profile photo of Lyn
    Lyn
    Participant

2.You can build housing where you want to without asking the local authority for permission. You can do this by using a Community Right to Build Order and getting local people to vote for it at a local referendum. There is plenty of further information about this process at mycommunity.org.uk

Profile photo of Lyn
    Lyn
    Participant

3. What does ‘community self build’ mean to you? Perhaps you imagine a building site where everyone is trained up and organised to work together on each other’s homes collectively. Or maybe you think of a neighbourhood group setting up a project as a low-cost route to helping local young people to get on the housing ladder? Or might it be a group of friends wanting to create an intentional community with shared living spaces?

In reality, these are all forms of community self build, which encompasses a wide range of projects. The common thread running through them all is people organising themselves together to create the kinds of homes – and communities – that they want.

Profile photo of Lyn
    Lyn
    Participant

4. An alternative form of housing that is rapidly gaining popularity is cohousing. In fact, between 2012 and 2014 the number of new cohousing groups in the UK doubled. In this model, each household owns or rents its own individual home but there is also some element of shared space, which is owned collectively. Cohousing projects usually require residents to commit to a certain level of involvement in communal activities, for example preparing meals, undertaking maintenance or gardening work and attending meetings. This can create a sense of very close and active community, with the intention that everyone works for the common good.

Profile photo of Lyn
    Lyn
    Participant

5. The most frequently talked about route into housing is developing some sort of new build project, but this can be complex, expensive and often takes a fairly long time. A simpler and quicker option, which often doesn’t require having to get planning permission, might be to look at the possibility of making use of vacant properties, of one sort of another. Most usually ordinary street properties, but possibly flats over shops or redundant commercial properties (such as offices or pubs). This has become known as ‘self-help housing’ and can provide an accessible route into learning about procuring and managing housing

Profile photo of Lyn
    Lyn
    Participant

6. Building a home to Passivhaus standard could cut your energy bills by up to 75%. For either retrofit or new-build homes, Passivhaus is the gold standard for energy efficiency. In technical terms, a home built to Passivhaus standard should have an energy demand of under 15kWh/m2/year. In practical terms, this means that the home shouldn’t need any heating source as the home heats itself through the ‘waste’ heat given off by electrical appliances, hot water tank and the residents themselves.
    For contractor-built new homes, construction costs for a Passivhaus-standard home are usually around 15-20% higher than a similar non-passive home. Over the lifetime of a home, the savings on heating bills should more than compensate for this additional upfront investment.

Profile photo of Gemma
    Gemma

These are all really interesting options Lyn, is there somewhere that we can find out more about them, and examples of where they’ve been tried?

Profile photo of Lyn
    Lyn
    Participant

7. You can work out a rough costing for your community-led housing project by using on online checker tool here http://mycommunity.org.uk/resources/community-building-checker/.
    There are also some useful toolkits to take you through the process of a community-led housing project here http://mycommunity.org.uk/resources/community-led-housing-kit/

Profile photo of Lyn
    Lyn
    Participant

These are all really interesting options Lyn, is there somewhere that we can find out more about them, and examples of where they’ve been tried?

Hi Gemma. My number 8. point (!) was to say that Locality has joined forces with BSHF to run a series of learning events all round the country. These start in May and will highlight a range of differing and highly innovative community led housing projects. More details are here. http://locality.org.uk/projects/communityled-housing/open-days/
    Contact me if you are interested in attending. lyn.kesterton@locality.org.uk

Profile photo of Gemma
    Gemma

These sound great, thank you!

Profile photo of Lyn
    Lyn
    Participant

9. There is help available to get community led housing projects off the ground; up to £50,000 is currently on offer to groups who want to take a project to the stage of planning permission. More information is here http://mycommunity.org.uk/programme/community-housing/?_a=funding

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.