Welcome Guest, please login to post to forums

Reply To: Wednesday 26 November, 1-2pm – Live discussion

Home The Just Act Forum Ask a question… Wednesday 26 November, 1-2pm – Live discussion Reply To: Wednesday 26 November, 1-2pm – Live discussion

Profile photo of Duncan
Duncan
Participant

We cheated! We were part of the Church which was already registered with the Charity Commission, so most things were covered by our own Constitution. But I do fully agree that it is essential to have a formal set-up even if you are a very small group. Sometimes one can “piggy-back”, like us, with a ‘parent group’, but whatever happens, one must do things ‘properly’. I know, from talks with Funders that keeping of proper annual accounts are essential, for example.
I think that owning or building property could be a nightmare. Apart from formal advice, I’d ask any local groups who have done this for their experience. Smaller things tend to be Scout Huts (for example) but they would have a National group for advice, so possibilities might be those concerned with building a village hall, for example.
We did a huge amount of building & renovating (best part of a million over 10 – 12 years) and you have to be absolutely sure of finances and also that the project is overseen properly. My last item was replacing od 2 toilets which took 3 times longer than the time quoted, so there are masses of snags!