Home › The Just Act Forum › Ask a question… › Our Place Live Chat; November 5th- Engaging your Community and Engaging Partners › Reply To: Our Place Live Chat; November 5th- Engaging your Community and Engaging Partners
People reported barriers too –
BARRIERS TO ENGAGEMENT
• Not knowing who they are
• Communications with large group
• You need to create a core of people to make things happen
• Finding people to talk to who are ready to talk
• Talking with people who are not used to this type of conversation
• Rural groups – cost of travel, time to travel to meetings
• Jargon – there’s a game called Bull**** Bingo
• Time – time spend planning takes away from enterprise and money making.
• Time – unrealistic expectations
• Time – all-volunteer organisations makes planning and communication difficult
• Lack of certainty about outcomes demotivates
• Volunteers are so busy
• Relationship management. Being an outsider.
Not knowing the community they are building a relationship with.
• Local authority sceptical about the quality of listening
• People don’t engage because ‘local authority doesn’t listen.’
• “Experts telling us what we can’t do all the time.”
• Dealing with many boroughs