Welcome Guest, please login to post to forums

Reply To: Weds 1 April Q&A – find out about My Community

Home The Just Act Forum Ask a question… Weds 1 April Q&A – find out about My Community Reply To: Weds 1 April Q&A – find out about My Community

Profile photo of Gemma
Gemma

Neighbourhood planning was introduced by the Localism Act in 2011. Over 1000 communities are working on a neighbourhood plan and more than 50 plans completed all of the necessary stages and have been agreed by the community through a referendum.

In very simple terms, a neighbourhood plan is a document that sets out planning policies for the neighbourhood area. Planning policies are used to decide whether to approve planning applications.

A neighbourhod plan is written by the local community, the people who know and love the area, rather than the Local Planning Authority. As such, it can be a powerful tool to ensure the community gets the right types of development, in the right place.

A neighbourhood plan is an important document with real legal force, therefore there are certain formal procedures that it must go through. If you want to do a neighbourhood plan, you will also need to have the right sort of qualifying body. In a parished area this will be a parish or town council. In any unparished area, you will have to create a neighbourhood forum and have it designated by the local planning authority.

That’s great, thank you.

Can you tell us what kind of projects are involved in the programme?